Thursday, April 13, 2017

True Food Kitchen - Restaurant Review (Poke Bowl)


Poke - pronounced poh-keh; Hawaiian for "to slice or cut"

I am a total sucker for poke bowls. Seriously. I cannot pass one by without trying it. And thus, even though the Poke Bowl (wild caught albacore, avocado, quinoa rice, mushroom, snow pea, cucumber, cashew, turmeric ponzu) at True Food was $22 (really?!), I ordered it.



It was good, but not amazing. In Hawai'i, I can get fresh ahi tuna and seaweed in a made-to-order poke bowl for under $10. I know, the airline ticket to get to Hawai'i is around $1,000, so that in total makes a super expensive bowl of poke. However, remember that this Hawaiian girl grew up on the islands, so all she knows is fresh poke bowls for way UNDER $10 each, and only containing fresh ahi and seaweed with seasonings. So, while this bowl was fresh and yummy, I found myself pining for Hawai'i, reasonable poke, and a little sprinkling of fresh seaweed on top of the tuna. Sigh.

Don't get me wrong. I still like True Food - I'll just be ordering something else the next time I eat here.


No comments: