Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Red Ash Italia - Restaurant Review


Red Ash Italia is a fairly new restaurant in downtown Austin. I've heard such great things about it from my friends that I thought I should try it as soon as possible. On a Tuesday night after teaching class, MU and I met at the restaurant for what we anticipated would be a delightful experience.

Upon entering the restaurant, I checked in at the host's station. While we had reservations, there was still a wait. No problem, as I was still waiting for my friend, but where to wait if not at the bar, which was full? I stood awkwardly near the front door trying to avoid those exiting and entering while I waited for our table to be readied. Not a great first impression.

I did like the interior design of the restaurant. It reminded me a lot of Quality Meats in NYC. There are two levels of seating, and the interior is dark, yet warm. It's quite noisy with the hard floors and open kitchen. However, we were seated near the stairs and the kitchen, and the noise level wasn't too overwhelming - we were still able to carry on a conversation without having to raise our voices too much.

We ordered a bottle of the Coppo L’Avvocata, Barbera d’Asti, 2013 ($40), which was lovely and light enough to go wonderfully with both of our main courses.




To start, we split the Red Ash Caesar Salad (with garlic and anchovy dressing / torn ciabatta croutons / shaved grana - $9). The dressing was bright and very lemony, which we both loved! I would have licked the plate if I could have!



For my main course, I ordered the seafood pasta with lobster tail in a scrumptious tomato sauce ($24). It was divine! All of the flavors were balanced just perfectly - nothing was too salty or spicy.

For 2 people (1 bottle of wine, 1 salad, 2 entrées) we paid ~$60 each including tip. I would definitely return!


No comments: