Monday, October 3, 2016

Quickie Pickie - Restaurant Review


A friend of mine who is a chef often grabs a sandwich from the Quickie Pickie for dinner, so I thought I might check it out, too.

Sassy Wine Belly - Quickie Pickie

The name screams deceptively of a convenient store located within a gas station, although there is no gas in sight.


Sassy Wine Belly - Quickie Pickie

Once inside, the store seems very much like a Royal Blue with fewer prepared food options (and I'm not even sure that the food is prepared in the store itself) and more sit-down tables for customers. In fact, there are so many tables that the place feels more like a restaurant than a store. The vibe is decidedly hipster.


Sassy Wine Belly - Quickie Pickie

I picked up this Roti Wrap ($4) for lunch and headed to the counter to pay. During checkout, I asked the young woman at the iPad/register whether they had Apple Pay (and the only reason I asked is because their registers are iPads). She looked at me as if I were from another planet. I repeated myself, and then she said "Oh, no. No one ever really asks about that." Weird, especially for a place that seems so hip. I mean come on - Royal Blue has had Apple Pay forever. She was apparently so weirded out by my question that she left our transaction before it was even done. Such bad service that I didn't leave a tip (which I usually would).

When I got back to my office, I tried the Roti Wrap. It was okay, but the wrapper was very stiff and crumbly, and as a result the filling was falling out all over the place. Kind of reminded me of when I purchase spring rolls which are in a fridge and the wrapper is a little stiff.

I think I'll head back to Royal Blue for my next quickie lunch.


No comments: