Saturday, July 16, 2016

Terry Black's BBQ - Restaurant Review




Let me just start by saying that I'm not a barbecue aficionado. I like it occasionally, but usually find it too salty for my taste.

I had high expectations for Terry Black's because of all of the hype around town. I believe that a type of cuisine, especially if it's exceptionally done, should appeal to folks of all tastes. I had a good experience at Franklin's last year, and have always had consistently good food at the Salt Lick and Rudy's.

Unfortunately, I didn't like the meat at Terry Black's. The beef ribs were way overdone with so much rub that all I could taste was salt, spices, and hardened meat near the edges - it was moister closer to the bone, but really good barbecue should be edible all the way from the outside to the bone. The sausage pieces the server gave me were also burnt and tough on the ends. I left those on my plate as well.

The meat cutters serving the barbecue need to be better trained to cut the hardened, unpalatable parts of meat off before they carve the rest and pile it on your plate. I don't know a single person who wants to pay $18 a pound for tough, unappetizing meat that you have to throw away. I've never had this experience at another barbecue restaurant.

They make three sauces - original, spicy, and sweet. I preferred the original and spicy. The sweet seems to be mustard-based.

While they had a selection of wine (a white blend, Chardonnay, Moscato, Malbec, Cab Sauv), I didn't see one that I preferred to pair with barbecue. I settled for a Topo Chico, which was great. 

The green beans were done very nicely, but the other veggie-based sides looked too creamy or had too much mayo for me.

I know a lot of people love this place. It's just not one that I prefer to try again myself.


No comments: