Thursday, July 14, 2016

Paella with Turkey Chorizo - Recipe


I love paella - with chorizo, seafood, just veggies - it's so scrumptious and satisfying!


First, I make a homemade turkey chorizo (rather than purchasing the pork or beef chorizo from the store).

Ingredients
  • extra virgin olive oil
  • 3 pounds natural or organic ground turkey
  • 6 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 1/2 cup red wine
  • 4 tablespoons paprika
  • 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon coriander
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

Instructions
  • Blend all ingredients and allow flavors to develop for up to one day
  • Heat the EVOO and thoroughly cook the chorizo in the pan, breaking up the clumps of ground turkey



I always add these veggies (and sometimes more) to my paella:

Ingredients
  • EVOO
  • 1 organic onion, chopped
  • 4 organic carrots, chopped
  • 2 organic bell peppers, chopped (I prefer green and yellow because the carrots are orange and the tomatoes are red)
  • 8 oz organic mushrooms, chopped
  • 20 quartered artichoke hearts
  • 20 quartered olives (any kind)
  • 14 oz can organic diced tomatoes
  • 1 16oz bag organic peas

Instructions
  • Stir fry all of my ingredients in olive oil until they are tender


My real secret is Chef Paz's Paella Mix, which I've not found an equal substitute for, even when I try to make my own paella from scratch. To make this paella, I prepare and cook the chorizo and/or veggies, then add the paella mix and follow the rest of the instructions on the back of the package. A winning combination!


No comments: