Friday, July 25, 2014

Fried Okra Recipe



My uncle grows fresh okra in his backyard, so lucky me that I got to try out this fabulous recipe for fried okra!

Please note that I didn't have any cornmeal on hand so I used whole wheat bread crumbs - yum!

Serves 4
15 minutes prep time
15 minute cook time
30 minutes total

Ingredients
  • 10 pods organic okra, sliced in 1/4 inch pieces
  • 1 organic brown egg, beaten
  • 1 cup organic cornmeal
  • 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

Instructions
  1. In a small bowl, soak okra in egg for 5 to 10 minutes. 
  2. In a medium bowl, combine cornmeal, salt, and pepper.
  3. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. 
  4. Dredge okra in the cornmeal mixture, coating evenly. 
  5. Carefully place okra in hot oil; stir continuously. 
  6. Reduce heat to medium when okra first starts to brown, and cook until golden. 
  7. Drain on paper towels.

Found this recipe at Allrecipes. ENJOY!

No comments: