Sunday, January 9, 2011

Chemin des Olivettes 2009 Coteaux du Languedoc, France - $9


This French red is a blend of 35% Carignan, 30% Grenache, 20% Syrah, and 15% Mourvèdre. I purchased it at Costco for $9 and used half of it to make French Onion Soup tonight. Wine Spectator rated it at 92 points.

Aroma - dark fruit, a little tobacco
Taste - dark fruit, tobacco, soft to moderate tannins, very smooth, long finish

What a value for the money! I really like this wine and need to pick up more before it's all gone!

Update - May 8, 2011
Had this wine again - it did smell just a tad barnyard the first night. The next night it was great. My recommendation is to aerate or double-decant it the first night you open it. It seems to reach its peak with a little oxygen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you liked it. I got some last weekend and will try it this week. BTW, you got a great price! I paid $13 on-sale.