Thursday, November 11, 2010

Royal Blue Tasting - Marchesi Incisa della Rocchetta

Tonight Royal Blue featured wines from an Italian winery called Marchesi Incisa della Rocchetta in the Piedmont (or in Italy, Piedmonte) region. This region borders France and Switzerland, and Piedmonte literally means "the foot of the mountain" because it is bordered by mountains.

Additionally, this winery sent their Managing Director, Filiberto Massone, to help educate us about the wines - awesome! He also told me that the winery has accommodations on site and is famous for its cooking school - sounds like it would be a fun place to visit on my next (and first) trip to Italy!


The first wine we tasted tonight was the Roero Arneis 2008 (I borrowed the image above from the 2006 vintage). It is 100% Arneis from the Roero area, and retails for $17.99 at Royal Blue.

Aroma - tropical fruit
Taste - tropical fruit, nice

This is a very pleasant wine. It's not crisp, but that's okay. I would purchase this wine in the future.


The second wine we tasted tonight was the Grignolino d’Asti 2009 which looks like a rosé, but according to Filiberto, drinks like a red. It is 100% Grignolino, which is a grape with lots of seeds and is pressed gently to keep the wine from becoming too tannic - thus the lighter color. It retails for $15.50/bottle at Royal Blue. The image above is borrowed from the 2006 vintage.

Aroma - berries, a little barnyard
Taste - berries, a little barnyard, soft tannins

I like this wine. However, it's really best suited for a very specific wine-drinker who is a little adventurous.


The third wine we tasted tonight was the Valmorena Barbera d'Asti 2007, which is fermented in stainless steel. It is 100% Barbera and retails for $14.99/bottle at Royal Blue. I love Barberas in general so my eye was on this wine from the start of the tasting. I borrowed this image from the 2004 vintage.

Aroma - red and dark fruit
Taste - red and dark fruit, soft to moderate tannins, fresh

I liked this wine so much I bought it on the spot. I'm interested in doing a more comprehensive tasting!

Update - March 22, 2011
CC brought this over for our TV viewing party tonight.

Aroma and taste - dark fruit, dark cocoa, a little bit of acid

CC didn't like this wine as much as the Quinta do Cardo Vinho Tinto 2006 that we had earlier this evening, but I liked it just fine!

No comments: