Friday, July 9, 2010

Jessup Cellars, Yountville, CA - wine tasting


Located right on Washington Street in Yountville, Jessup Cellars is an easy place to find and a friendly place to visit. Tracy was our pourer and she was super nice. They are open later than other tasting rooms, so it was quite crowded while we were there. We received a coupon for a complimentary tasting from our hotel, but what I gather from online reviews of Jessup, tastings are usually complimentary.

Jessup is a small production boutique winery, and all of its grapes are estate grown.


We started the tasting with Jessup Cellars Sauvignon Blanc 2009, Napa Valley. It is 100% Sauvignon Blanc and retails for $28/bottle at the tasting room.

Aroma - tropical fruit
Taste - tropical fruit, grapefruit

I liked this wine a lot!


Next we tasted the Jessup Cellars Rosé 2009, Napa Valley. It is 100% Cabernet Sauvignon, and retails for $28/bottle at the tasting room.

Aroma and Taste - strawberries, tea

As this Rosé was dry, I did like it.


On to the Jessup Cellars Pinot Noir 2008, Napa Valley, which is 100% Pinot Noir and retails for $48/bottle at the tasting room.

Aroma - sour cherries
Taste - tart cherries, spice

This was a nice wine!


We next tasted the Jessup Cellars Zinfandel 2006, Napa Valley, which is 100% Zin and retails for $39/bottle at the tasting room.

Aroma - dark fruit
Taste - dark fruit, spice

I think this was my favorite of all of the wines so far. Yummy!



The next wine we tasted was Jessup Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon 2006, Napa Valley, which is 100% Cabernet Sauvignon. It retails for $55/bottle at the tasting room. Tracy actually told us that this wine was a blend of CS with 2% Petit Verdot and 2% Cab Franc, but the website says 100% Cab Sauv.

Aroma - dark fruit, hot
Taste - dark fruit, moderate tannins, a little black tea on the finish

Not my favorite wine as it smelled hot, but it tasted better than it smelled.



The flagship wine of this winery is their Bordeaux-style blend, Jessup Cellars Table for Four from Napa Valley - we tasted the 2007 vintage, which retails for $79/bottle at the tasting room. It is a blend of 60% Cabernet Sauvignon, 13% Cab Franc, 12% Merlot, and 15% Petite Sirah (this info is from Tracy - the website's wine fact sheet says that it's a proprietary blend).

Aroma - blackberries
Taste - blackberries, moderate tanning, a little spice, long finish

Yes, this is definitely my favorite from this winery so far. While I liked the Zin and thought that the price point was nice for a once-weekly wine, this wine has an interesting complexity and I'd definitely buy it for special occasions.



I thought that the next wine, the Jessup Cellars Petite Sirah 2007 from Yolo County, would be a bit heavy for my tastes compared to the Table for Four we just had. The Petite Sirah retails for $59/bottle at the tasting room.

Aroma - black fruit, ink
Taste - "sinister," inky, strong tannins

Okay, I have to admit that I can barely read my own handwriting, and this is what I'm guessing from reading my tasting notes. I remember not preferring this wine, although I think it's probably a very nice expression of Petite Sirah (a varietal that I'm not all that familiar with).


The final wine we tried was the Jessup Cellars Zinfandel Port 2007 from Napa Valley, which retails for $38/half bottle at the tasting room.

Aroma - sweet, blackberries
Taste - berries, pepper, not too sweet, thick

With the dark chocolate they served, the flavor of the berries really came out! I liked this port a lot!

All in all, a very nice experience with a very small winery!

No comments: